LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:56:26 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Motherboards

Concerning motherboards and the drivers for the various coomponents.

In the Linux and UNIX worlds the kernel talks directly to the hardware
whereas in the windows world each program talks directly to the
hardware.  That is the reason Windows crashes so much.  Thus in the
windows world you need a driver for each piece of hardware that you are
running so that a program using a sound card can communicate with your
sound card.

If you have ever looked at the kernel source code configuration script
via

make xconfig
make menuconfig

you will see in the source code all of the drivers for your hardware.
As a large portion of you know I am not in favor of compiling physical
hardware that is connected to your motherboard or part of your
motherboard as a module.  Also, your root partition file system type
must not be compiled as a module or your system will not boot.

In the past I received a dlink nic card that had the linux source patch
on the card.  It was neat, but the driver was already in the kernel tree
as the documentation for the nic card stated.

ASUS and most of the other MB's all work great with linux.  If you are
building a new system with a new MB most of the distros will already
have all of the drivers and moduals needed to boot the new MB.

Bob Razler wrote:

> Hello:
>
>         Most MB's seem to ship with *nix drivers on the CD these days.
> know that Abit does (since they also sell a distro).
>
>         I would read some reviews and decide what chipset you are going
> with.  Then read the reviews of those boards and most will contain a
> blurb about Linux support and the driver CD.
>
> Robert J. Razler, Esq.
> Approvals Manager
> Heritage Building Group, Inc.
> Suite A-100