Mike Leone on Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:12:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Motherboards

----- Original Message -----
From: "LeRoy Cressy" <leroy@lrcressy.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Motherboards

> hardware.  That is the reason Windows crashes so much.  Thus in the
> windows world you need a driver for each piece of hardware that you are
> running so that a program using a sound card can communicate with your
> sound card.

In Linux, each hardware driver is either compiled directly into the kernel, or as a loadable kernel module, which is pretty close in concept to a device driver. If you don't have support for your device compiled in, or loaded as a module, you can't use that device. Similarly for Windows device drivers.

> If you have ever looked at the kernel source code configuration script
> via
>
> make xconfig
> make menuconfig
>
> you will see in the source code all of the drivers for your hardware.

Except for things like winmodems, and other newer devices not in the standard kernel config,  etc....

> As a large portion of you know I am not in favor of compiling physical
> hardware that is connected to your motherboard or part of your
> motherboard as a module.  Also, your root partition file system type
> must not be compiled as a module or your system will not boot.

I'm told that yes, it can. If you make use of an initrd image.