Mike Leone on Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:56:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Motherboards

> > I'm told that yes, it can. If you make use of an initrd image.
> >
> Why would you want to start a system using initrd unless you were
> creating a boot disk set?

"want" is different than "can". :-)

Usually, the advice is to use an initrd, so you have any unusual modules (read: SCSI-board drivers) available at boot, if need be. Most people don't need to, so they don't use initrds. However, many of the distros come with them by default (RH and Mandrake, I know of, for sure).

And I think BJ posted a link about how the next stable kernel series is going to require initrds.