LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 06:20:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] weak linux firewall?

On a firewall the only open port that I consider acceptiable is tcp 22
for remote ssh.  with the remote ssh you should only allow specific
individuals login privileges from specific hosts.  Ideally these should
only be from inside the firewall.

All of the other services that you have open on the firewall should be
closed.  Your firewall should do port forwarding of the specified
services to a specific host.  For example your port 80 should be
forwarded to your apache server on the dmz lan.  A firewall should not
be running print services, ftp, printer, or any other service.  Also a
firewall should be compiled as a router.

Your question has been answered as to how your `C' drive may have been
seen by others.

Samantha Samuel wrote:

> For reasons that are not important I have win2k on a partition. My
> firewall is a linux box that has only the following ports open.
>
> Port       State       Service
> 21/tcp     open        ftp
> 22/tcp     open        ssh
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
> 515/tcp    open        printer
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
> 6004/tcp   open        X11:4
>
> When surfing the internet last night, I saw an ad that claimed my pc was
> insecure and had a snapshot of my hd, that had a pic of my folders and the
> size of my partition. Now this worries me. I know it was a pic of my comp,
> and not some generic pc because of this one folder I had.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on how someone could have gotten past the
> firewall and peeked into my machine?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Samantha
> -------
> Real programmers do not comment their code. If it was hard to write, it
> should be hard to understand.
>
> http://taz.cs.wcupa.edu/~ssamuel

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )