gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:47:43 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ssh woes

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:56:02PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Development-time debugging not compiled in.
> To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
> debug: hostname is 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'.
> Development-time debugging not compiled in.
> To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
> debug: connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
> debug: entering event loop
> debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating transport protocol
> debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating userauth protocol
> debug: Remote version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1
> debug: Host key found from the database.
> authorized uses only. uses may be monitored.
>
> debug: client_disconnect: Too many authentication failures for follinge
>
> Disconnected; protocol error (Too many authentication failures for
> follinge).
> debug: uninitializing event loop

Aha. You have an old enough ssh2 that it still has the aes128 bug.

Go edit your sshd_config on the server and add a line (since it's
never in there by default) that looks like this:

Ciphers blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour

The default Ciphers setting is to try aes128-cbc, but the server's
attempt to set that up breaks certain client versions. (Note that
the default first option after aes128 is 3des... you're welcome to
use it, but I'm subtly suggesting that I trust blowfish better. ;^>)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net