Walt Mankowski on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:48:53 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Moveing large files

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:29:47AM -0500, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> On Thursday 04 April 2002 10:06 am, Paul wrote:
> > My first thought is to "chunk" the file into smaller parts, which leads
> > to my first question: How does one chunk a 7gig file?  WinZip is able to
> > cause a file to span multiple disks based on disk size.
> >
> I would, but the reason why it needs moveing is i am out of space.

Can you nfs-mount the target drive?  If so, maybe you could do
something like this:

  cd /nfs/path/to/target
  split /path/to/bigfile

Then I believe you'd only be sending a bunch of small chunks over
nfs.  The chunks will all be on your nfs directory and you can use cat
to rebuild the original file.

Walt