Michael F. Robbins on Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:17:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Cutting off FTP / level access

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 04:25, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> just fine, however, people can still browse to the $FTPROOT/dev and
> $FTPROOT/etc directories and all that. Does anyone know what I have to
> configure to stop that? Any conf files I missed? I can't seem to find info

It mostly depends on the FTP server that you use.  WU-FTPD is the
default for a bunch of distros, and I'm pretty sure that you really do
need to have a /dev and /etc directory in the ftproot.  I've more often
used ProFTPD, where those directories don't exist.  But it's a security
tradeoff: the presence of the $FTPROOT/etc and $FTPROOT/dev and bin
probably indicates that you're using a chrooted FTP daemon, which is a
good extra layer of security.  So really, I don't think that anything in
those directories could really be a problem.  In fact, it's more of a
sign that you *do* have your FTP server locked in a chroot jail.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com