Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:30:13 +0200

RE: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

As a bicyclist, I almost die on a a daily basis b/c a driver breaks the
law. They often do it in front of officers who do nothing. I know a lot of bikers break lots of laws too, but I don't. Also, if a biker breaks a law
and hits a car, the driver will be fine, but the law breaking biker will
suffer bad so law breaking bikers are kind of self-correcting in a
darwinian fashion.

If this was only true....... I've never seen a car hit a biker/pedestrain and ever heard the reaction "the way he was riding, he deserved it." Most drivers will suffer from the guilt that there must have been some way to avoid it. I bike a lot, too, but when I'm driving and confronted by a careless biker, I get angry knowing how bad I'd have felt if I had hit him.

Basically, drivers treat me as if I'm an annoyance, as if three seconds of
their time is more valuable than my life.

I don't know if that's it so much as their realization that they are trying to control over a ton of steel at a legally high speed, and their inability to prevent a biker from suddenly cutting into their path.

Fred Ollinger