Adam Schaible on Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:30:18 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: Job Postings?

Yeah, I followed this discussion the other week. I
posted up a job listing a few months ago, but before I
did this I made sure to talk to a couple people at a
PLUG meeting (Darxus, Bernie Falor) and they seemed to
think there was nothing wrong with it. Especially
since a lot of people are out of work and hurting
these days. I wasn't on the PLUG list three years ago
during the dotcom bubble... were there a lot of job
postings then?

Call me an idealist, but people need to use common
sense... Suppose your company is hiring NT gurus and
MCSE's, well why would you want to post to a Linux
list? This list is filtered and/or moderated, to the
best of my knowledge... why waste your time here?
There are plenty of other special interest groups out
there that could bring more productive results. But it
at least seems like some of the skills needed for
Kyle's position (Solaris, Perl) are likely to be
things that a significant percentage of Linux geeks
have cross-experience in. I agree with a prior posting
that marking these types of posts "OT" is a good way
to avoid ticking off some of the more sensitive
members of the community. Because then they can set up
filters to not even let messages like these in their
folder.

In any case I think you just saying that you know this
type of position is open is notification enough, so if
anyone needs a job, send your resume to Kyle, he's got
contacts!

-Adam Schaible
Conshohocken, PA