Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:34:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dial-in / dial-out

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 16:28, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> i have a modem on a server configured for dial-in access. when i attempt to
> dial-out with that modem, the device seems to be busy (this is a USB modem).

You probably have the pppd daemon listening on /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar.
This would lock the port and prevent your outgoing ppp session from
talking to the modem device (is this just a lock file or a
kernel-enforced device lock?).  Take a look at how pppd is started:
inittab, or rc.d scripts.  You'll probably want to stop pppd and then do
your dial out.  Also see the "lock" option of pppd, although I'm
uncertain if removing this will allow your outgoing connection through.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com