gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:00:16 -0400

[PLUG] Re: GUI Mail? In UNIX?!?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:49:56AM -0400, Time wrote:
> Call me crazy, but why can't you use mutt for all your mail and have all
> the mail centralized in one ssh'able location? 8)

I can't because of corporate policy.

("No, you may not forward mail from the Exchange server.")

... and I'm not about to pass my password in clear text in order to
use IMAP or POP3 even on the internal network, thanks.

> If its because you can't get pics/docs/html encoded mail and that's
> absolutly necessary for survival that's a good answer. Although I
> usually save those attachments to a htaccess'd directory where I can
> then view those attachments from a web browser.

Another thing mutt can't do is use any of Outlook's groupware
functions. I was led to believe that Bynari Insight
(http://www.bynari.com/) could, but it was a lie. (It's actually
just a POP3/IMAP client that looks a little like Outlook.) A pretty
high percentage of the traffic that goes to my work mailbox (which
PLUG doesn't, btw; nor does it for Mike, he just likes using a GUI
MUA on whatever workstation he's using at the time to read his mail,
which is certainly his perogative)... anyway, much of that mail is
meeting requests or the like that Outlook handles automatically by
updating my Calender.

Say what you will about Outlook's security, it's only running
competitor in the groupware market was Novell, and that's basically
dead. Exchange does what it does pretty well, from a user point of
view.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net