gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:47:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AS/400

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 07:15:59PM -0700, multiple seriousity wrote:
> "4 years old and apparently obsolete" - did you really need to say
> apparently obsolete? isn't it redundant...? of course it's obsolete, if it
> wasn't.. what fun would it be? :D

Um... the folks at (my) work would be pretty upset if you described
their many-more-years-old System 390 that way, as would any of the
many places using anything Cray ever made.

> Maybe NetBSD?

Only if you want to do the porting work yourself:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/#suggested-ports

(Suggested, as in, the machine independent code would take care of
many of your hardware problems, but getting the thing to boot is
non-trivial, as no one's done it yet... there'll be massive
bootloader complications, and then you'll have to figure out the
quirks in that machine's bus(ses).)

> Hey, you could always fiddle around and learn it's actual native OS.

IBM OSes are pretty neat, but definitely not what anyone who's used
to Unix-like OSes is used to. They're strictly batch-oriented, for
one thing, they have a lot of unfamiliar concepts (logical machine
partitions, disk is often thought of as virutal tape, word size for
zOS, IBM's newest which'll run you vaguely 1.5 mil for a 390 is 1
megabyte).

Mother of a friend of mine (from swarthmore.edu) is an IBM OS
developer and did a talk at Swarthmore's OS class last year; if she
didn't live in New York state somewhere, I'd say she should be asked
to do a PLUG presentation.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net