gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:42:40 -0400

[PLUG] Re: (GUI Mail? In UNIX?!?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:15:00PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> But he does (sorta) ... didn't he say he uses gvim to compose email
> with?
> (I presume when on Win32 platforms)

Sure, but when I'm on Win32, I'm using Outlook and only sending
email to other people on the same Exchange server as myself, so it
matters a little bit less.

I do use gvim (where its features like gqgq are absolutely
necessarily--as opposed to Unix, where I find them superfluous,
though you may not and that's fine--considering I can't do !}fmt,
as Windows has no fmt(1)), but only when I'm feeling really ornery
about not wanting to top-quote (which Outlook basically forces you
to[1]), probably because I really want to split specific items to which
I'm responding out.

I just had a long discussion by way of S(warthmore)LUG's mailing
list with Martin Krafft (whom some of you no doubt remember; he's
back in .de these days) on my preferring vi to Vim. Basically, it's
got to do with what I'm doing. Since I primarily do sysadmin stuff
these days, I like vi better and want not to become dependent on
Vim-only features, since they won't exist on a new system, when
/usr/local isn't mounted, when someone screws up the Vim install, so
forth.

I also commented that if I were just coding all the time, I'd
probably be using XEmacs in vi editing mode, since its integration
with the compiler, linker, and debugger was cleaner, but it was
pointed out that Vim 6 does a much better job of that stuff, so I
may well use Vim the next time I have a big coding project.

The distinction, for me, between sysadmin stuff and coding stuff is
vast. (That is, when you're doing administrative stuff, you are,
almost always, dealing with a system that isn't working right, so
it's best to rely on a minimum set of utilities. When you're coding,
you can set everything up just the way you like it for your
development environment and reasonably expect it to not break for
the extent of time you'll be working on that project.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

[1] Ever noticed how people who read mail only using Outlook will
frequently miss points/questions in your email? Now I know why...
the user interface of replying is so different, takes so much power
*away* from the user by default, that it's really easy to do. Silly.