Bill Jonas on Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 11:40:34PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> I haven't taken the time to track it down, but since it seems to be
> reproducible, maybe we should make something of a group effort and
> at least send a bug report if not a patch.

Trust calculation.  I noticed that a key I've signed takes much longer
to validate than that of someone whose I haven't signed.  Assuming
you're using mutt, you can verify for yourself by hitting ^C after a
couple seconds (after it should've had enough time to validate the
signature itself).  Instead of getting something like the following
(with or without the warning):

gpg: Signature made Sat Apr 13 23:40:34 2002 EDT using DSA key ID 0CF9091A
gpg: Good signature from "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <rosenkoetter@pobox.com>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@cs.swarthmore.edu>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
gpg: Fingerprint: 1175 C547 F847 8340 AC62  6C20 F5E8 5A70 0CF9 091A

It'll look like:

gpg: Signature made Sat Apr 13 23:40:34 2002 EDT using DSA key ID 0CF9091A
gpg: Good signature from "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <rosenkoetter@pobox.com>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@cs.swarthmore.edu>"

gpg: some signal caught ... exiting

The effect is especially pronounced on a slower machine (like my
dual-CPU SPARC 10).  One solution is to use the always-trust option.
Just put "always-trust" in your ~/.gnupg/options, and validations will
only take a couple of seconds (or less if you have a faster machine).
The problem with this approach, besides losing trust-checking, is that
now the output looks like this:

gpg: Signature made Sat Apr 13 23:40:34 2002 EDT using DSA key ID 0CF9091A
gpg: Good signature from "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <rosenkoetter@pobox.com>"
gpg:                 aka "gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@cs.swarthmore.edu>"
gpg: WARNING: Using untrusted key!

As for what's going into the next version, I don't follow GnuPG
development, but the man page for version 1.0.6 has this nugget:

       --no-expensive-trust-checks
                 Experimental use only.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html