LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:00:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] kernel won't boot

I think that you need to start over with a clean compile:

try this

$ cd kernel_source_top_level_dir

$ make clean; make xconfig
	# check your config to make sure that everything is included that you
want
	# save configuration and exit

$ cp .config ../filename_of_choice
	# I use my fastest box for all kernel compilation

	# Although the dependencies have already been made, I like to remake
	# them anyway

$ make clean; make dep; make bzImage
$ make modules
# make modules_install # Must be done as root

# cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.18
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.18
# cd /
	I like to store all kernels and System.map files in the /boot
	directory and create symlinks from / -> /boot/

	if you have any normal kernal files in the root directory mv them to
	/boot/vmlinuz-version

	For safety purposes I always keep the distribution kernel in /boot.

	Now I make my symlinks to /boot

# rm vmlinu*
# ln -s boot/bzImage-2.4.18 vmlinuz	# current kernel
# ln -s boot/vmlinuz-? vmlinuz.old	# old kernel that works
# ln -s boot/vmlinuz-? vmlinuz.dist	# distribution kernel

	If this is a new system then it is possible that the old kernel and
	the distribution kernel will be the same

	Now it is time to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file using your favorite
	editor.  If you keep the symlink names consistant in the root
	directory you will never have to touch this again.

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=Linux.old
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.dist
        label=Linux.dist
        read-only

Concerning Samantha Samuel's problem there seems to be a problem with
the kernel.  I had this problem with an old 386 box years ago when I
tried to make the 386 read code compiled for a pentium.  Needless to say
it didn't work.  I would make sure that the chipset matches the machine
and that smp is turned off.  Also the memory functions should should
match your box.

Samantha Samuel wrote:

> I compiled a 2.4.18 kernel with the xfs patch. (I already am running on a
> kernel with xfs support, but I forgot to compile my sound card and nfs
> into the kernel, hence the recompilation).
>
> I did all the steps (make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make
> modules_install, moved the new vmlinuz to /boot and renamed current
> vmlinuz to vmlinuz.old and left new one as is, and moved System.map to
> /boot and typed: lilo), but when I load new kernel I get as far as:

> And then it reboots again. And again. There are no error messages. Well
> I see the letter 's' on the line after the one above, and then it
> reboots by itself. Not sure what I did wrong.
>
> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
>
> O. I compiled everything into the kernel, because I know exactly what I
> want. But I ran make_modules anyway.
>
> Thanx.
>
> --
> Samantha