Jeyes, David (371) on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:00:11 +0200

[PLUG] RE: PLUG problems uploading through browser/ftping

Title: RE: PLUG problems uploading through browser/ftping

> From: "jon" <jon@jonroig.com>
> To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
> Subject: RE: [PLUG] problems uploading through browser/ftping
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:16:34 -0400
> charset="UTF-8"
>
> Ok.... so I'm starting to get it.
>
> I've determined that my firewall works... but is somewhat
> retarded and there's nothing I could do to fix that thing in
> this case. (That's why it was so cheap, eh?)
>
> Dumb question #2. If I dump my router and throw in another
> network card in and use the webserver as a router, that'll
> work, right?

It will certainly work. I would have some concerns about security, as you'd then be betting the farm on the security of your webserver, rather than your firewall. . .

> Is PPPoE in linux super evil to set up?

It's very easy- the Mandrake 8.2 Network configuration wizard is actually pretty sweet.

> Has anyone played
> with the gui connection sharing thing in Mandrake 8.2?

It has it's place, I suppose. It actually sets up a proxy server and DHCP server, not a true firewall. The real question is when you need to customize it to fit your specific needs (Or if you really don't need/want the DHCP server!) It will be much easier in the long run to use ipforwarding and iptables or ipchains than to dig through Mandrake's scripts.

Overall- it drove me nuts!

In order to just get connectivity, simply set ipforwarding=true in the /etc/sysconfig/network file, and enable ip masquerading in iptables by editing out the line in the iptables file. Then you can just tell the GUI ManDrakeConfig to start iptables on boot and BAM! Then you can make your own rules and just shove them (gently) in the iptables file.

Mmmm, GUI.

> Thanks for your help, guys... I really appreciate it. This is
> finally starting to make sense...
>       -- jon

Hopefully that was of some help.

Thanks,