billywissman on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:45:15 -0400

RE: Re: [PLUG] Creative SBLive! Value sound card

Chris Heerschap <cmh@db94.net> wrote:

>I don't know if you've checked this or not, but the SB Live card can
>handle digital speakers.  Depending on what type of speakers you have
>connected to your computer, you won't get any output if it's expecting
>the other type.
>
>I know in the Windows driver for the SB Live, there is an option for
>digital-only output.  I have to use that to get sound out of my Boston
>speakers.  However, if I had normal powered analog speakers, I'd have to
>click that option off in order to get any sound.
>>
>Hope this helps.
>
>>cmh
>--
>Chris Heerschap
>215-489-3144 home
>267-251-0949 cell
>cmh@db94.net

Thanks for the tip Chris. No, I haven't checked into this, but will now. I have Boston speakers as well.

Chris when you "modprobe emu10k1" what loads?

This is what I get:

emu10k1                50624   0  (unused)
ac97_codec              9568   0  [emu10k1]
soundcore               3492   4  [emu10k1]

Bill Jonas is running the same card (thanks for your ongoing help Bill!) and sees this output:

   emu10k1                55776   0
   sound                  52268   0 [emu10k1]
   ac97_codec              9184   0 [emu10k1]
   soundcore               3460   7 [emu10k1 sound]

   Of these, only emu10k1 is in my /etc/modules; the others get loaded when
   the init scripts 'modprobe emu10k1'.

   Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html

Do you see the same Chris?

Correct me if I'm wrong? According to the xconfig help, "sound" module is the sound.o driver which is the OSS support. Do I even need this? Anyway..

I have to load that manually by /sbin/insmod sound.o

When I do that I now see:

sound                  53260   0  (unused)
emu10k1                50624   0  (unused)
ac97_codec              9568   0  [emu10k1]
soundcore               3492   6  [sound emu10k1]

To the far right of the "sound" module I should see [emu10k1] correct, where it currently says unused?

When I run an audio test and "lsmod" again, the (unused) statement is gone for emu10k1, but remains for sound.

Does anybody know how I can "link" sound to the emu10k1 or vice versa?

Is it crucial to have "emu10k1" added to /etc/modules or is that only necessary to make it load automatically at boot?

As always, Thanks for the feedback...

Bill Wissman