Bill Jonas on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:12:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X forwarding via ssh

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 02:03:03PM -0400, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> Not sure I understand what you mean by "like screen".

This:

>      X                                     VNC
>  ----------------------------------      -------------------------------
>  + if the network is interrupted,        + if the network is interrupted,
>    your client programs and window         your client programs and window
>    manager die.                            manager still run.

> vnc is X.

I understand VNC; I've used it to access an MS-Windows desktop from my
Linux box before.  (I haven't done X-to-X, or X-to-MSWindows, though.)
I had just never thought through the full implications, and how your
work would still be there in the event of a network disruption.

What I meant was, it allows you to "detach" and then "reattach" later,
like screen.

Hmm... this could make for some interesting possibilities.  Is there any
reason one couldn't run a VNC server locally, and attach to it locally?

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin