eric@lucii.org on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:01:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X forwarding via ssh

Bill:

Not sure I understand what you mean by "like screen".  I've used screen years
ago and it allowed me to have simultaneous shell sessions in one terminal.
This was great for using multiple terminals on a single terminal (similar to
virtual terminals on a *nix box).

vnc is X.  It just alters the standard X architecture to put the server code
(usually running on your display server) on the other side.  That way, the
server and client programs run on the same machine and only the display is
remote.

For example:

-----------------
  X windows:

    Your computer (display server)               Network server
 ------------------------------------    ------------------------------------
   X display server code runs here        client programs (Window manager,
                                            xterm, etc) run here

-----------------
  X windows running under VNC:

     Your computer (display)                      Network server
 -------------------------------         ------------------------------------
   X display vnc code runs here           X display server program runs here
                                          client programs (Window manager,
                                            xterm, etc) run here

The differences are:

     X                                     VNC
 ----------------------------------      -------------------------------
 + display server runs on your host      + display server runs on another host
 + display server communicates with      + display server and clients are on
   clients over the network using          the same host (usually).
   the "X" protocol
 + display and display server are on     + display server communicates with
   the same host                           actual display using the network.
 + display state is maintained on        + display state is maintained on
   your host.                              the remote host.
 + if the network is interrupted,        + if the network is interrupted,
   your client programs and window         your client programs and window
   manager die.                            manager still run.

Hope this clarifies it.  I have used VNC for more than 2 years.  It's really
nice for those situations where you have to do a bunch of work on a *nix host
but your desk is occupied by a Win NT or W2K machine.  I was, however, unable
to get KDE or Gnome to compile on the server (Sun boxes - I was not admin) so I
used twm for a window manager.  Not too bad, really.

Also, if you run it on a Windows NT workstation as a VNC server you can remotely
access the windows box from another Windows box OR a *nix host!

geez, I hope I have not gone overboard here :-)
Is anybody interested in a "VNC" talk at some future PLUG meeting???

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth