gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:50:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] gpg/mailing list?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:41:59PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Or everyone has a copy of the same key, sort of a group key. That's how
> comapnies do it, I believe - there's 1 key in the name of the company
> (or dept), but the relevant people (meaning at least 2 managers) have
> copies of the private key.

Sure, but if you want to have a publicly-available (as in, anyone
can subscribe) list that's also encrypted, the encryption buys you
nothing with a group key, since the private key would have to be
handed out to each subscribing user.

If it's actually privacy you want, there needs to be a private key
for the list (available only to the list's moderator, probably with
a null passphrase to ease automation; that's fine, as long as no one
evil has access to the system where it's stored... and certainly no
worse than leaving the passphrase in plain text in a script on the
same system) to which submissions are encrypted (with your own
signature INSIDE! the encrypted envelope). The system then
re-encrypts (using a one-ish time symetric key to encrypt the
actual message and including that symetric key encrypted to each
list member's private key) the message, signs each (OUTSIDE! the
encrypted envelope) with the lists key, and sends it off the the
appropriate list members.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net