Michael Leone on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:38:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On 18 Apr 2002 at 12:21, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:09:57PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Why? Isn't that a sign that you trust Darxus? And you do, don't you,
> > since you've signed his key?
>
> Signing someone's key is *not* the same as trusting them.

Wasn't talking about that, tho - I was talking about trusting Darxus
enough to feel (mostly) confident that he printed out the correct
fingerprints of the new keys.

We were talking about whether the new keysigning member should bring
enough printouts of their own fringerprints to give to everyone else
at a keysigning, or have 1 person print out all the fingerprints
received, and hand them to the others present.

I trust Darxus enough so that if he hands me a prinout with 10 new
fingerprints, I trust that he hasn't deliberately magled or forged
any. If he did, the new user will say "Hang on; that's not my
fingerprint". Unless, of course, the 2 are in cahoots. But hey .. you
have to draw that paranoia line somewhere ...