Michael Leone on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:10:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 19:40, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:39:31PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > All participants have to have copies of everyone involved's fingerprint;
> > it's just easier to funnel them to a central person, who then makes
> > enough printouts for all participants to look at.
>
> Um, but if I blindly trust that the printout that Darxus gives me
> matches what I'd get out of gpg --fingerprint for that key ID and
> sign the key, I've misplaced my trust.

Why? Isn't that a sign that you trust Darxus? And you do, don't you,
since you've signed his key?

> Even if you do use Darxus's handy printout, you MUST verify that the
> fingerprint on that sheet of paper (that you verified against what
> the person whose key it is read aloud *from* *their* *own*
> *files*... that is NOT from Darxus's printout) matches with the
> output of gpg --fingerprint for that key ID on your machine BEFORE
> you do gpg --sign-key.

Granted.

> > If you have 10 participants, and everyone brings enough copies
> > of thier fingerprint for everyone else, everybody ends up with 10
> > pages per person. As opposed to 1 or 2, if done centrally.
>
> But bringing copies of your fingerprint for everyone and reading
> your fingerprint aloud are redundant! It's still necessary to match
> the fingerprints against what you have locally when you get home.

I'm only going by previous experience.

> > Also, not everyone comes with printouts of their fingerprint; I leave
> > mine in my Palm. Saves on paper, etc.
>
> I think I have the first two blocks of mine memorized at this point.
> ;^>

I have the last 2 memorized, since that's used as keyID. :-)

> In any case, I think you missed my point. I was saying that I could
> just as easily print the fingerprints for everyone in place of
> Darxus, if he's not going to be there (um, Darxus, could you maybe
> say something about this? Soon?), and that they would be no more or
> less trustworthy than Darxus's printouts.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, Gabe.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Conform or be cast out.