Darxus on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:16:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On 04/17, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> In any case, I think you missed my point. I was saying that I could
> just as easily print the fingerprints for everyone in place of
> Darxus, if he's not going to be there (um, Darxus, could you maybe
> say something about this? Soon?), and that they would be no more or
> less trustworthy than Darxus's printouts.

To be clear, I think it would be wonderful if somebody else ran a
keysigning at plug, in the name of decentralization.

It's easy.  Well, the easiest way, which I would suggest, would be...

1) One organizing person to request that all of the other interested
   participants email their public key to them (the organizer).

2) The organizer imports every participants' public key into a keyring
   file (like http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/phillylinux.gpg).

3) The organizer prints a copy of the fingerprints of all of the keys in
   this keyring file ("gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./phillylinux.gpg
   --fingerprint", I believe) for every participant.

4) Organizer brings the printouts to the meeting, and conduct the
   keysigning as usual (everybody read off their fingerprints so others
   can verify them, etc.).

There are a number of documents on the internet about running keysigning
parties.  If you would like to do this, I would encourage you to read them.

--
"It's never too late to panic."
http://www.ChaosReigns.com