Time on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:08:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What am I missing about RPM?

Regards,

Time

   13

   \
9   .  3   clockbot.net
   /

    6

On 17 Apr 2002, Noah Silva wrote:

> I just use red-carpet to update RH machines - works for me.  (It works
> on debian too, but only stable).

In my experiences, Red-Carpet by Ximian Gnome breaks RPM interdependencies
and disallows you to use up2date. I've also never found a way to uninstall
a Ximian Gnome. There may be a way... I don't care. ;)

I say this only because I purposely set out to experiment with Ximian
Gnome recently for use of Evolution. Something in red-carpet broke, so I
tried to use up2date which was broken as well, I was stuck with a box that
had a broken package system and no way to uninstall the broken pieces with
ease.

Darxus also made a good point durring this experiment, that other than due
to Hardware failure, he's never reinstalled a Debian box from scratch.
This should be (IMO) one of the most important goals of an OS, and apt has
already reached that goal, and up2date is playing major catch up but is
getting closer with every release.

Regards,

Time

   13