Michael Leone on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:53:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

> > I trust Darxus enough so that if he hands me a prinout with 10 new
> > fingerprints, I trust that he hasn't deliberately magled or forged
> > any. If he did, the new user will say "Hang on; that's not my
> > fingerprint". Unless, of course, the 2 are in cahoots. But hey ..
> > you have to draw that paranoia line somewhere ...
>
> Why? It's possible to be absolutely sure with PGP, provided that you
> can rely on the crypto-system (which, as I said elsewhere, may not be
> true).

No, actually, it isn't absolutely sure, not for real identities,
anyway.

Consider - any schmuck can make a gpg key with "Mike Leone" on it.
Said schmuck can also (probably easily) get a fake ID with the name
"Mike Leone" on it - I never bought a fake ID, but they can't be
IMPOSSIBLE to find ...

Said schmuck sends Darxus fingerprint. Shows up at keysigning with
fake ID. Shows it around, and reads fingerprint. You go home, and
sign schmuck's key, having been perfectly satisifed.

But it ain't me.

That might be stretching a point, but all the keysigning does is show
that the keyholder has verified to you that he is the keyholder. Not
that he says he is who he claims to be.

Unless you wanna do a DNA test at every keysigning ... :-)

>It's not paranoia, it's simply black or white truth. Why fudge
> it when the system makes it so easy to be sure?

The paranoia I'm referring to is thinking that the above scenario is
being enacted on you. While it's possible, it's not too likely.

(similar things have happened, tho - remember the case of that woman,
who had been a radical bomb-thrower in the 60s, who then changed her
name and identity; got married; and was living quietly until they
nabbed her? Even her husband and kids didn't know that she wasn't who
she had been claiming to be all those years. Of course, that's an
extreme example, and most of the time you trust the people whom you
meet and know and have relationships with (friendly or more so) to be
who they say they are)