Chuck Peters on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:20:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] SpamAssassin. Go get it.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Doug Crompton wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Jason Costomiris wrote:
>
> > I've been running SpamAssassin (via procmail) with Postfix for a few
> > weeks now, and all I can say is, "wow, this thing rocks!".
> >
> > http://spamassassin.taint.org/
> >

> I finally took the time to install this and it is very effective! In fact
> it is amazing.
>

> Now if all ISP's ran this as an option to their users it would be great.

I don't think SpamAssassin is considered to be very scalable.

I did a little formail test to see what kind of a load SpamAssassin would
put on our machine and it took over 2 seconds per message.  The test was
done on a 804 MHz processor and I saw loads over 9.

CCIL.org has about 850 active users users, of those 650 use mail here and
another 90 forward it.  The machine running all this mail is a 166 MHz, it
would be very noticable if we enabled SpamAssassin for everyone.  After we
migrate to Debian woody and a faster box we shouldn't set it up as the
default for all users.

Chuck