Doug Crompton on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:00:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] SpamAssassin. Go get it.

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Jason Costomiris wrote:

> I've been running SpamAssassin (via procmail) with Postfix for a few
> weeks now, and all I can say is, "wow, this thing rocks!".
>
> http://spamassassin.taint.org/

I finally took the time to install this and it is very effective! In fact
it is amazing.

I installed it on an old slackware linux - 2.0.33 kernel and I had to
update my perl to do it. Once I had it all installed and permissions set
it runs like a champ. I have used procmail for years and I just added the
rules. All spam goes to a separate box for deletion. I have received a
couple of false negative and positive hits but the whitelist and blacklist
options and spam level tweaking will fix that. In 24 hours I have over 50
spam mails and no real spam elsewhere.

I used the tar.gz install. The installed permissions were screwy and there
is little guidance to what they should be.

Now if all ISP's ran this as an option to their users it would be great.

Check it out!

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *