Noah Silva on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:34:04 -0400

Re: Ricochet and various wireless (was: Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?)

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 12:27, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:21:47PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> > between themselves which parts of the spectrum to use.  This leads to
> > very robust communications, and of course _killing_ anything else in the
> > same band (around 900mhz I think) that might be trying to talk.  The FCC
>
> You sure about that? I thought Ricochet was up in the other
> unregulated range, as is 802.11B, which means it'd interfere with
> wireless ethernet (802.11, ...B, and ...A, the last of which isn't
> exactly out yet) and 2.4 GHz phones, but not 900 MHz ones.

Well I have a 2.4Ghz phone and it doesn't bother it.  The frequency
range on the Ricochet GT box says: 902-928MHz.  It doesn't use the whole
band at once, but rather a part of it which moves (frequency hopping
spread spectrum), but as I said, they coordinate and make sure to
allocate different parts of the spectrum.

 -- noah silva

> In any case, it's pretty cool that you've got Ricochet gear. You do
> know that someone's working on reviving the defunct Ricochet
> networks in a few cities, right? (Not Philly, as yet, if memory
> serves, but it could happen.)

I did hear that, but I don't think it will affect me much one way or the
other.  If anything it will just mean I could use them for their
intended purpose.  Some of the newer modems were made in such a way
(i.e. firmware version) that the network operator (with the "wired"
radios) can basically take over the "DNS" type system of the radios,
even for the private networks.  They did this towards the end, because
they didn't want people buying them at the discounted price and then
using them privately.  (Which is a shame since the engineers designed
them very well to work peer to peer).  There are several ways around
this that I know of though.

A while back, I mapped out where the radio towers in phila. were (The
ricochet modems will return the lat. and long. of any "fixed" radio they
can contact).  This is hardly thorough, but you can take a look here:

http://www.atari-source.com/~nsilva/ricochet/map.html

Perhaps some day when I'm bored, I'll take a walk and map more of them.

 -- noah silva