Noah Silva on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:20:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

I know I shouldn't divulge the details of my network to those here who
so much like hacking, but:

Apparently the Ricochet modems that I use for wireless data (They have a
slower data rate, but Much longer range than 802.11) will detect other
signals (interference), and automatically increase strength to quash
it.  Better yet, they will automatically communicate with each other
when there is several in the same communications range, and allocate
between themselves which parts of the spectrum to use.  This leads to
very robust communications, and of course _killing_ anything else in the
same band (around 900mhz I think) that might be trying to talk.  The FCC
has now made it illegal to manufacture devices that do this, but
existing devices are legal to use.  I wonder if any of my neighbors
notice this effect, especially since they must be using a high power
since I am using them almost to their maximum range.

(BTW I am not worried about anyone intercepting them since:
a.) the equipment isn't common
b.) the protocol is strange
c.) I have the built-in encryption on
d.) all traffic goes though an SSH 2 tunnel
e.) None of the machines directly connected are on public IP
)

  -- noah silva