Noah Silva on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:20:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Question and Notice.

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 10:48, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:34:44PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> > a.) Question - Can someone post the link to the Unix(tm) history tree?
>
> I did last night, but here it is again:
>
>   http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html

I posted that message before you did, it just didn't get pushed through
until after that.

> > b.) Anyone who wants may use my Jabber server at jabber.atari-source.com.
>
> Haven't played with jabber, but it sounds neat. I'm liable to just
> stick with IRC though, especially if I have to use a web browser to
> use jabber. ;^>

Well; for me:
IRC is for mainly for chatting with a group of random people about a
particular topic. (or in the case of some channels, downloading files
from IRC bots).

IM is for talking specifically to certain particular people and/or
telling if they are online.

For me to use IRC for this is inconvenient, I would have ot log into
like 5 IRC servers and 15 channels, #atari on ircnet, #plug on
openprojects, #gothenburg on efnet, #solaris on DALnet, etc., and I have
to wade through a bunch of information that isn't particularly
relevent.  Add to that that IRC isn't secure or particularly reliable.
I love IRC to go if I want to "talk about subject X", and there is a
room about subject X.  Of course everyone has their own preferences.

Anyhow, you certainly don't have to use a web browser to use Jabber.
There is a Jabber server daemon, and various Jabber clients.  There is
the "official" jabber client for windows, and also a java applet client
that /can/ run in a web browser, it works from Gaim and Gabber (Gnome
clients), and also there are quite a few other clients for X, win32, and
console. (I use Gabber)

The advantages of Jabber over AIM/ICQ, etc. are that:
a.) You can run the server.
b.) Open Source
c.) Encryption

But also it isn't a single namespace like ICQ and AIM, so it works like
email in that it uses DNS domains, and users from one domain can message
the users of another domain (just that two servers get involved).

Jabber also has "transports" that allow it to talk to other IM systems,
including AIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, and others.  Honestly, I only use the AIM
one because most people I know have AIM accounts.  For my other computer
oriented people, I can use jabber natively.

It's just a pain for everyone to have to set up their own server to run
Jabber, so there should be more public servers, which is why I offered
mine.  (perhaps plug could set up one on the web server?)

-- noah silva