gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:30:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:54:40AM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> All that being said, if you think we're paranoid, then you obviously
> haven't encountered discussions of Tempest or Van Eck phreaking (ask
> Google).  In which case, I have a copy of Stephenson's fictional
> _Cryptonomicon_ you can borrow. :)

Don't knock it. There are good reasons to think that Tempest exists
(as good as any NSA program that we "know" about), and it's been
shown that Van Eck phreaking works just fine given favorable
conditions. ("Cryptonomicon" provides a good example of a forced
favorable situation... but even the Feds renting the apartment on
the other side of the wall against which your monitor sits would
be good enough.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net