gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:15:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 01:02:00PM -0400, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> It depends on the frequency/wavelength involved.  Monitor emissions may have
> enough high frequency components to leak through chicken wire.  I don't know
> for sure.   A friend of mine from many years ago saw some guys in a laboratory
> use off the shelf electronics gear (RF detectors, RF amplifiers, etc.)  and a
> monitor to capture and redisplay the screen of a monitor _in_the_next_room.  It
> was over 20 feet away and through a wall.  The antenna was a 36" collapasable
> whip antenna.

Yep, that's classic Van Eck phreaking. It works less well in your
average city apartment, where there's all kinds of RF noise floating
around. (TVs, radios, cell phones, smart-fridges... so forth.)

Pretty neat, huh?

It might be fun to actually put together a Van Eck kit and demo this
for a PLUG meeting. :^>

> Who *really* knows since the last I heard the tempest specifications
> are classified.  I'd use expanded steel mesh...  finer holes but quite a bit
> more expensive and harder to work with.  Perhaps ordinary window screen (metal
> not plastic) would work.

Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure window screen's got enough body to
usefully disrupt signals. (I guess it'd be easy to check: wrap your
900 MHz cordless phone's antenna in the stuff and see if it still
works.)

>     See: http://www.lucii.org/eric/rant.html
>      for some further off topic thoughts.  :-D

Don't know that it's necessarily all that off topic (the words
"user" and "group" expand the topicality that could be limited if
all we had were "Linux" ;^>), and worth reading. (Nothing I don't
know, but I'm a cypherpunks subscriber, so...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net