eric@lucii.org on Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:01:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

It depends on the frequency/wavelength involved.  Monitor emissions may have
enough high frequency components to leak through chicken wire.  I don't know
for sure.   A friend of mine from many years ago saw some guys in a laboratory
use off the shelf electronics gear (RF detectors, RF amplifiers, etc.)  and a
monitor to capture and redisplay the screen of a monitor _in_the_next_room.  It
was over 20 feet away and through a wall.  The antenna was a 36" collapasable
whip antenna.

Who *really* knows since the last I heard the tempest specifications
are classified.  I'd use expanded steel mesh...  finer holes but quite a bit
more expensive and harder to work with.  Perhaps ordinary window screen (metal
not plastic) would work.

    See: http://www.lucii.org/eric/rant.html
     for some further off topic thoughts.  :-D

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
#  Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!!