Noah silva on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:53:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting thread on SEUL-EDU mailing list...

There is a difference between what you bought, and what they WANTED to
sell you.

If you actually read and agree to and believe their license agreement,
those are very different rights from your default rights.  Since several
courts have held that:
a.) You can't contract out of many of your rights.
b.) Contracts of adhesion aren't always legal.
c.) Shrinkwrap contracts often aren't legal.
d.) Contracts against the good of the public aren't legal...
etc.

I very much doubt that what you DID buy and what microsoft WANTED you to
buy were the same, unless you agree that they are.  If _I_ ran a company
and BSA came after me (and I wasn't doing something terribly illegal on
purpose), I would be more than willing to let it play out in court - or
just stop using the software of the companies in question.

my rights in buying the software SHOULD be the same as my rights in buying
a book.  If they aren't the court will ask why.  If I wasn't given a
chance to negotiate, it will be seen as adhesion, etc.
Remember, the judge might use windows too.

 -- noah silva