gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:05:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:30:31PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> Also if you allow internet traffic, you have to get an ISP to agree to it.

Nah, you just have to NAT it. Presuming you've got a reasonable ISP.
(You will, of course, be held accountable for anything that happens
from behind your publicly-routed IP addrs.)

You'd probably want to put a WEP key on the base station (not for
encryption, just for authentication, since it doesn't so much work
for encryption anyway), which you'd give out freely. Just so you
know how many people are involved, at least. (Especially if you're
pooling money for the connection.)

> for the record though, I wouldn't mind setting one up (or allowing use of
> my ricochet "network", for anyone who has time to set up STARnet).

Also, fwiw, anyone who wants it can probably get an 802.11[B, if
you're really close] signal in the vicinity of the Swarthmore R3
station off of my wireless hub, if you want it. (There's no WEP key
now, but I'll notice if anyone's really leeching bandwidth and put
one on.)

If someone were interested in using my (crappy, low-range, so you
probably aren't) base station as their real Internet access, I guess
I'd sort of rather you get in touch with me and we work out
something such that I pay Speakeasy more money and your kick back
for some reasonable portion of that. I'd have no problem doing that
(nor would Speakeasy).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net