multiple seriousity on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:47:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Jeyes, David (371) wrote:
> It's great to see that there's so much interest in wireless networking among
> PLUG. I am very interested in wireless technologies and have been looking

Well, I guess I should go back and read all the messages in the other
thread to see what has been discussed.  But, I am definitely interested in
assisting and being involved with any community networking project.

Personally, I am located in NE Philadelphia near the Roosevelt mall.. but
would be interested in helping community networking, be it wired, wireless
or whatever in any part of the local area... (I also have a few other
bases, where I would like to see some form of increased/improved
community/wireless networking.)

As far as a local commercial operation that does something... there is
wispernet which I believe is owned by martnet now, another local
commercial operation (he runs debian, I
believe)  (wireless)  wispernet.com  there is a coverage map on their
site.

I didn't notice a coverage map on bluetruck's site. . but did notice they
are based out of reading.

You can also take a look at my site.. I have a page on toasternets and
nexus (I  was going to add freenet stuff but apparently I never got around
to it ..) michaelsimons.com  then look for the toasternet,nexus, freenet
link.  nothing special, just something interesting.

Well, whatever it is we wind up doing, I believe that we probably at least
have the expertise and at least SOME spare equipment.

Of course, getting the people to ACTUALLY do something is the
issue... I've been bringing up this sort of thing for a while.

maybe a good start at any of this would be mapping members ... would it be
possible to set up that same system that mapped the ricochet points to map
members' locations?  (and by members, I am talking about any members who
are INTERESTED in participating in some form of co-op or venture, project,
whatever.)

I guess that's it for now.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com