Doug Crompton on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:50:24 +0200

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Jeyes, David (371) wrote:

> It's great to see that there's so much interest in wireless networking among
> PLUG. I am very interested in wireless technologies and have been looking
> for a wireless ISP solution. Bluetruck.net offers wireless access locally,
> but it doesn't seem like a viable mobile solution because of the power/
> space overhead of an RF radio.
>
> Does anyone know of a local wireless provider that they've been pleased
> with?
>
> Would anyone be interested in a local 802.11 co-op?

I am very interested in this. I have a folder 2 inches thick with
reference material. I also talked extensively to the tech and head of
Bluetruck and a local ISP. Bluetruck is a very new (about 1 year old) ISP
in the Reading area. They are very aggressive and knowledgable. They seem
to be (according to them) doing very well against two competitors. They
currently have an RF site in Reading with and uphaul link to there site a
fewe blocks away. They are using a Sun Oil tower I believe.

The big problem is tower space. Equipment costs are not that great. It
would be about $5K or so for a site with uphaul link. User costs are in
the $300-500 range for equipment. Data rates are 256K full duplex up to
many megabits. The other problem is where do you connect to. You would
need at least a T1 and routing capability. Marriage with an existing ISP
seems logical.

I am in Richboro, Bucks County. If anyone would like to get together and
discuss this I am game!

There is a great need for highspeed access in many areas where DSL is not
being offered, which is about 50% of the outlying philly regions. Also
business needs more then most cable will offer.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *