Noah silva on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:30:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

> > They would have had more happy customers that way.  Oh well, all you have
> > to do is change the network number on the modems to fix D from above (or,
> > in modem emulation mode, connect them beforethe dialing one registers with
> > the nameserver).
>
> Really?  How do you change the network number?  Do you have additional
> documentation outside the GS modem manual?  I'd be interested in
> anything you can share.

he he he.... the GS manual is a super stripped down version of their older
manuals.  Look up info in their older manuals.  The GS (and GT,
etc.) Manuals just have glossy pics of people surfing the web and say
"it's fast, it's easy, it's almost affordable!", etc.  And have
screenshots of how to set up the windows PPP dialer to work.

The older Manuals have diagrams explaining how the network works, info on
the poletop routers, how to enable and set up the various options,
including encryption, how hard it should look for poletops, how many
radios it should aquire before it stops looking, all sorts of spiffy
stuff.  Most of this works by standard modem registers.

f.e.:
ats311? will return the list of radios it is in contact with.
ats300? will return the registration status and laast error code.
etc.

You will even find info about starmode, and "modem bridge mode" (where you
set up a ricochet modem at your house to plug into a real telephone line
modem... then you dial your home modem from your laptop modem and it will
dial your ISP.

What it comes down to is that the modems are really nice pieces of
hardware with all sorts of features that metricom apparently doesn't want
to use.

As for the changing the network number, that's a bit tricky to do.  It can
be done through software though, just not quite so easily as ATSxxx=yz;
There is a cryptic mention to something called the "software fuse" like
once in the older manual.  From what I have gathered this is more or less
a protection against people really messing up the modem that you have to
bypass to change some things (though you can mess it up plenty without
bypassing it!).  I was in contact with a guy from a company where they use
ricochet modems, and have a software tool they use to "blow the software
fuse" and actually am waiting on more info on that.  (Since my modems are
older ones, I don't need to change the network numbers though, even if
they do have service).

  -- noah silva