Noah silva on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:37:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

> > I had the same problems with Solaris btw.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> > The 68k Macs I have had (Centris 610, powerbook 550C) didn't have
> > problems with the serial ports. The newer sparc machines don't either.
>
> By "newer sparcs" I presume you mean sun4u machines? (The stuff

I mean current models like the Netra, etc.  Though even the Sparc 20's and
such I have worked on (I used to consule for sun.se for a while) have much
better serial.

> above is all sun4c... there are some "newer" sun4cs than
> the IPC and > IPX, I think, but I'm not sure.)

I don't have the whole history memorized, byt the IPC and IPX use a fairly
different processor in some ways because the linux kernal leaks memory on
the IPCs like crazy but is fine on the IPXs.  (and the IPCs are dirt slow
so I don't use them for much.  The IPXs are faster, and I upgrade all of
mine so they are faster yet.  Even if the MHz isn't that high, the fact
that they have multiple hardware contexts, etc., makes them fairly fast
for the Mhz).

> Ever played with serial on the sun4m machines? (NOT sparcs, but
> m68ks.) I'm inclined to think that's where the hallucination came
> from, but I'm not sure.

huh? I didn't know there were sun4m m68k??  Which model?

I have a Javastation prototype ("MrCoffee"/"The Brick", if that means
anything to you) that is a sun4m.  It has a db9 serial connector instead
of the standard (for pre-ultra) mini-din for the serial.

Over the sourse of the next year, I am planning on getting:
a.) A new sun netra (X?)
b.) A Newer (production) Javastation (Also sun4m?)
c.) A Sun Voyager (sun4m? sun4c?)

So I will have more things from sun with serial ports to play with.  If I
had to guess, I would guess the voyager's serial ports will be just as
bad, and the other two will be better.

 -- noah silva