gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:52:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:33:08PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> I mean current models like the Netra, etc.  Though even the Sparc 20's and
> such I have worked on (I used to consule for sun.se for a while) have much
> better serial.

Netra's are sun4u, unless they're labeling various US II processors
differently, which I doubt. (sun4u starts with the Ultra series.)
US III-based machines are probably also sun4u.

sun4 are all sparc-based machines.

I don't know what I was smoking when I said sun4ms were m68k. (See
below.)

> I don't have the whole history memorized, byt the IPC and IPX use a fairly
> different processor in some ways because the linux kernal leaks memory on
> the IPCs like crazy but is fine on the IPXs.

Weird. Must be different Sparc revision levels, if it's actually the
main processor causing the problems. (Could also just be flakiness
in the bus controller, no?)

> Even if the MHz isn't that high, the fact that they have multiple
> hardware contexts, etc., makes them fairly fast for the Mhz).

Sure, but they're no E3500 (you know, the one with the Cray
backplane). ;^>

> huh? I didn't know there were sun4m m68k??  Which model?

I was wrong, obviously. :^>

sun2s and sun3s are m68k.

All sun4s are sparc of some sort.

> I have a Javastation prototype ("MrCoffee"/"The Brick", if that means
> anything to you) that is a sun4m.  It has a db9 serial connector instead
> of the standard (for pre-ultra) mini-din for the serial.

Hrm. That's neat. :^> Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I was thinking of
sun3 stuff when I even mentioned m68k OR similarity in serial
chipsets between suns and macs. So it's probably nothing you've
got.

> Over the sourse of the next year, I am planning on getting:
> a.) A new sun netra (X?)
> b.) A Newer (production) Javastation (Also sun4m?)
> c.) A Sun Voyager (sun4m? sun4c?)
>
> So I will have more things from sun with serial ports to play with.  If I
> had to guess, I would guess the voyager's serial ports will be just as
> bad, and the other two will be better.

Be interesting to see.

What's the vendor name on the chipset on the various machines you
have got? (All my sun4cs are off right now, and Solaris doesn't so
much report things like that.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net