Noah silva on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:08:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

> Netra's are sun4u, unless they're labeling various US II processors
> differently, which I doubt. (sun4u starts with the Ultra series.)
> US III-based machines are probably also sun4u.
>
> sun4 are all sparc-based machines.

I thought so!

> I don't know what I was smoking when I said sun4ms were m68k. (See
> below.)

I really was wondering if you were privy to something I wasn't.  Here I am
saying "I worked for sun, and I didn't know about this... maybe netBSD
really DOES run on every platform!".

> > the IPCs like crazy but is fine on the IPXs.
>
> Weird. Must be different Sparc revision levels, if it's actually the
> main processor causing the problems. (Could also just be flakiness
> in the bus controller, no?)

hmm.. not sure, it's in the sparclinux faq though, iirc.

> > huh? I didn't know there were sun4m m68k??  Which model?
> I was wrong, obviously. :^>
>
> sun2s and sun3s are m68k.

And I have .. had a special purpose sun3 (called the "Kodak picture
station", or something like that).  I got tired of the 500 pound 8inch
hard drive and all that fun stuff so I gutted it, along with it's 68020
processor, and used it as a new expansion case for my Atari TT030 computer
;).

> > I have a Javastation prototype ("MrCoffee"/"The Brick", if that means
> > anything to you) that is a sun4m.  It has a db9 serial connector instead
> > of the standard (for pre-ultra) mini-din for the serial.
>
> Hrm. That's neat. :^> Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I was thinking of
> sun3 stuff when I even mentioned m68k OR similarity in serial
> chipsets between suns and macs. So it's probably nothing you've
> got.

The m68k sun stuff seems so much older to me, but maybe not?  I still have
the sun3... I mean the parts to it are all in a big box.  If you need like
a 15amp computer power supply, I'm your man ;)

> What's the vendor name on the chipset on the various machines you
> have got? (All my sun4cs are off right now, and Solaris doesn't so
> much report things like that.)

Which chipset?  I thought the cipset on the motherboard was mostly
identical on all the machines of the same model.  The processors were
originally sun manufactured sparcs for the most part, but have all been
replaced with newer Weitek accellerator chips.

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

  -- noah silva