Doug Crompton on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:54:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

Was the original intent of this thread to put up some broadband wireless
somewhere and serve a bunch of people or was it to have a splintered group
piping around wireless from point to point in a relatively haphazard way?

Broadband wireless exists in center city. At least it is suppose to.
Whispernet has a coverage map on their website.

A few weeks ago I was told this is not a hobbyist/experimenters list when
I made that observagtion on another subject. It sure seems it is to me!
Not that, that is a bad thing at all.

I just thought that the original intent was to really bring something up
somewhere with invested money similiar to Whispernet or Bluetruck.

Cisco and others have the equipment to do it. All you need is the site and
some internet bandwidth. A class C block would be nice and some money.

The ISP's that I have contacted see RF as black magic. If someone or a
group  came along and offerred them an RF pipe to potential customers for
a rental fee I am sure there would be interest.

So I see at least three ways to go about this.

   1. Just steal BW from an exisitng account or accounts and pipe it to
whoever can get to it. This would be the hobbyist or experimenters mode
with no guaranteed reliability and little or no cost other than equipment.

   2. Raise some cash, buy the necessary RF equipment, find the site or
sites, and lease the system or systems to an ISP.

   3. Same as (2) but do it all. Serve as your own ISP.

This would not necessarily be limited to one site. If one takes off put
more up.

Assuming the right situation I would have some money to invest. I am sure
others might also but if this was not the intention of the original post
then I stand corrected. If it is then maybe we should have a face to face
meeting.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *