Noah Silva on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:55:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 19:53, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Was the original intent of this thread to put up some broadband wireless
> somewhere and serve a bunch of people or was it to have a splintered group
> piping around wireless from point to point in a relatively haphazard way?

I think it was more or less just a discussion.

> Broadband wireless exists in center city. At least it is suppose to.
> Whispernet has a coverage map on their website.

yeah I like their site, it gives me a bunch of ASPsession cookies and
then when I click on "Philadelphia, PA", it gives me this.

Not Found
The requested URL /76histry/index.html was not found on this server.

> A few weeks ago I was told this is not a hobbyist/experimenters list when
> I made that observagtion on another subject. It sure seems it is to me!
> Not that, that is a bad thing at all.

It doesn't seem to exactly be a kernal tinkerers list. ;)

> I just thought that the original intent was to really bring something up
> somewhere with invested money similiar to Whispernet or Bluetruck.
>
> Cisco and others have the equipment to do it. All you need is the site and
> some internet bandwidth. A class C block would be nice and some money.

Yes, I think the discussion came about with comparing 802.x vs ricochet
vs fixed wireless, etc. - so I mentioned what my plans were, people
asked questions, etc.

> The ISP's that I have contacted see RF as black magic. If someone or a
> group  came along and offerred them an RF pipe to potential customers for
> a rental fee I am sure there would be interest.
>
> So I see at least three ways to go about this.
>
>    1. Just steal BW from an exisitng account or accounts and pipe it to
> whoever can get to it. This would be the hobbyist or experimenters mode
> with no guaranteed reliability and little or no cost other than equipment.
>
>    2. Raise some cash, buy the necessary RF equipment, find the site or
> sites, and lease the system or systems to an ISP.
>
>    3. Same as (2) but do it all. Serve as your own ISP.
>
> This would not necessarily be limited to one site. If one takes off put
> more up.
>
> Assuming the right situation I would have some money to invest. I am sure
> others might also but if this was not the intention of the original post
> then I stand corrected. If it is then maybe we should have a face to face
> meeting.

Perhaps it was, but it depends what type of equipment you would use, and
where you could provide coverage.  802.11b offers very limited coverage
areas with the normal antennas/legal power/normal wireless cards.

Was the original posts's intent about:
a.) Having mobile wireless access for laptops around town?
b.) Having fixed wireless access?

My original interest in the ricochet equipment was to avoid paying DSL
at more then one house when I just want private networking between them,
and having mobile wireless as a fringe benefit.

 -- noah silva