Doug Crompton on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:57:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On 25 Apr 2002, Noah Silva wrote:

> Perhaps it was, but it depends what type of equipment you would use, and
> where you could provide coverage.  802.11b offers very limited coverage
> areas with the normal antennas/legal power/normal wireless cards.

Well I am not talking about home or office wireless systems you buy in
Best Buys. I am talking about license free but quite capable systems with
ranges out to 5-7 miles LOS.

I just checked and it looks like Cisco may have gotten out of the
broadband market. Their site shows a discontinuation of the products.

Here is the site - http://www.uniquesys.com/  for the products that
Bluetruck uses in Reading.

As I stated earlier a fixed site with wireless uphaul runs about $5K for
equipment.

> My original interest in the ricochet equipment was to avoid paying DSL
> at more then one house when I just want private networking between them,
> and having mobile wireless as a fringe benefit.
>
>  -- noah silva

Well I guess over a very small area that might be practical but unless you
take over the Ric. systems that are already in place in Philly I doubt
you would ever have much coverage. If you want to walk down the street
from your house you could do it with exisitng equipment. Most wireless
lans give open air ranges of several thousand feet. Of course all this
assumes no interference.

I think the urgency on this is that the time is now to get in on this if
there is a desire. If you built an RF system and a customer base then you
would have something viable once the big guys finally decide it is worth
their while.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *