gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:16:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting thread on SEUL-EDU mailing list...

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 07:51:30PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Come to think of it, money used to be backed by something real, like
> gold.  Now its value is just assigned.  How does that work?

Ah, the gold standard. Quick, convert all your cash at egold.com!

The gold standard went away because it was *way* too difficult to do
business efficiently when the price of gold fluctuated drastically
on a regular basis. It caused tides of inflation and deflation that
moved much faster than anything we're used to. And there's always
the "six men in a smoky room in London" theory. ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net