Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:20:20 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT, "monopoly"

> > Who, other than Microsoft, can train 23,000 Mexicans? The governement? Even
> > RedHat would probably not be able to compete. It's a monopolistic behavior
> > put to the extreme, aimed at gaining market by "lowering" prices.
>
> Those dirty bastards - training thousands of people who need to come into
> the computer age.  The nerve!

:)

The article "Hole in the wall" offers an interesting alternative point of
view on wether or how pepole need to go about being brought into the
computer age...

> I have many problems with Microsoft, but the fact that they give away
> stuff for free is not one of them.  That's standard practice in many
> industries.  Look at Linux!

I suppose the concern is that once you're hooked, the pusher stops giving
away free samples and starts charging you.

Not to use a purposfuly distasteful analagy or anything ;-)

I keep posting this stuff to PLUG in the hopes that it will at least
raise awareness of what's happening in the minds of PLUG members.  My
hope is that as a group, we will are (or will be) in a position to
influence things for the better - but we need to know what's going on,
and a little prodding never hurts.

Thanks,

Kyle