Kevin Brosius on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:09:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] kernel patching

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 02:29:32PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> > Wow, how is it possible to reverse a patch?
>
> > > Use the -R (or --reverse) option.

Somehow, I don't think that's what he meant...

Ignore this short patch discussion if I'm completely off base:

A patch is a file which describes how to edit a version 1 of some target
file to convert to version 2.  After being applied to the target file,
you can 'reverse the patch' (or apply the edits backwards) to get back
the original version (1) of the target file.

The patch program can do this for you, and will even tell you that it
has already applied a patch if you try to re-apply it, with a warning
something along the lines of "patch appears to be already applied,
reverse the patch(-r) ?"  If you say yes, then the patch program will
remove the edits made by the first run and leave you with an original
file.

Clear as mud?

--
Kevin Brosius