jon on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:30:19 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Problems with Apache and FTP

I had the same problem a few weeks ago...

Try turning PASV off on your FTP client... and yeah, open up port 20. Can
you access those services from the box itself? If not, the services might
not be running...

You can start apache from the command line by typing:
chkconfig httpd on

(I think you can also start it from the mandrake services thing... although
I'm not so sure about the ftp server.)
	-- jon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Jon Galt
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 11:56 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Problems with Apache and FTP

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Michael Lazin wrote:

> I just upgraded my Linux Mandrake 7.1 to version 8.2, and added a router
> with a firewall to my network.  I opened ports 21,23, and 80 on the
> firewall so I can use FTP telnet, and run my web server.  I have every
> reason to believe that these ports are really open, because telnet
> works.

You can telnet into your server, or out?  Can you get a response from your
server on all three of those ports, using telnet?

> I am also able to surf the web with my server.

Can you access your web server with your browser on the server?

>  Can someone
> please give me a pointer in troubleshooting why FTP and my web server
> aren't working?

Could the FTP problem have something to do with the fact that FTP uses two
ports, one for commands and one for data?  I don't claim to be the most
knowledgeable person here on this subject, it's just an idea.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com