Jon Galt on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Problems with Apache and FTP

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Michael Lazin wrote:

> I just upgraded my Linux Mandrake 7.1 to version 8.2, and added a router
> with a firewall to my network.  I opened ports 21,23, and 80 on the
> firewall so I can use FTP telnet, and run my web server.  I have every
> reason to believe that these ports are really open, because telnet
> works.

You can telnet into your server, or out?  Can you get a response from your
server on all three of those ports, using telnet?

> I am also able to surf the web with my server.

Can you access your web server with your browser on the server?

>  Can someone
> please give me a pointer in troubleshooting why FTP and my web server
> aren't working?

Could the FTP problem have something to do with the fact that FTP uses two
ports, one for commands and one for data?  I don't claim to be the most
knowledgeable person here on this subject, it's just an idea.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com