Jon Galt on Wed, 1 May 2002 00:12:38 -0400

[PLUG] Win98/Linux file transfers, was Re: Newbie's first question - file transfer

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, George Langford wrote:

> Hello fellow PLUGgers !
>
> Trying to answer my own question regarding transfer of files from
> a W98 environment on one PC to a Linux environment on another PC,
> a one shot deal but lots of data are involved - 500's of MB.
>
> Choice No.1 - PuTTY:
>
> 	http://www.starjump.com/linux/scp.html
> 	http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
> 	http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.52/htmldoc/
>
> PuTTY seems to emphasize security over telephone lines, but offers
> ease of use - I might even string a permanent link ...

Since Putty doesn't supply a convenient way to transfer files, you're
probably referring to PSCP, which is the secure copy program that comes
with Putty.  (It is Putty's implementation of an SCP client.)  I use this
also, when I need to transfer files outside of my firewall (and when it's
available on the host).

Another option is FTP, if you decide to make the transfer in a nonsecure
manner.  I use WS_FTP LE for that (gui), or the ftp client built into
Windows (cli), or the ftp client that typically comes with a Linux distro
(cli).

I understand that there are two different FTP protocols that incorporate
ssh, and those are SFTP and FTPS.  I could be wrong about that, as I have
no experience with either one.

Another option is either mounting a remote Windows partition on your Linux
box (using a network file system that might come with your Linux distro)
and working from the Linux box,  Or you could use Samba on the Linux box
to share directories and files and work from the Windows box.  You may
have noticed that I've asked for help with this last one in another email
message on this list.

So if you have an ethernet connection between the machines, the total list
of software options seems to be:
- SCP
- FTP
- SFTP/FTPS (?)
- network file system
- Samba

If anybody knows of other software options, I'd be interested in hearing
about them.

Of course, there's a hardware option that sometimes people overlook.  Take
the hard disk out of your Windows box and install it (temporarily or not)
in your Linux box, and simply copy the file(s).

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com